Cajun Spiced Pork Chop & Sauerkraut
2 x 250g pork chop, bone on
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cajun spice
1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
¼ white cabbage, cored & sliced
½ fennel, cored and sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
50g bacon, chopped
50g Spanish chorizo, sliced
1 ½ tablespoon white vinegar
½ brown onion, diced
1 carrot, grated
100g crushed tomato
60g roasted capsicum strips
1 spring onion
Finely sliced radish
1. Preheat oven to 170°C fan forced. In a mixing bowl place your pork, spices, olive oil and lightly season. For best results prepare an hour before hand.
2. Start making your sour kraut. Heat a large pot on medium heat. Coat the pot with olive oil then when hot add in your sliced chorizo and sliced bacon with freshly cracked black pepper. Cook while stirring with a wooden spoon until it begins to stick to the pot.
3. Add into the pot brown onion and minced garlic cook until the onion colours. Then add in your chopped cabbage, sliced fennel and roast capsicum and cook until the cabbage begins to sweat. Put in in your vinegar, crushed tomato, grated carrot and sliced spring onion. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for 8 minutes or until cabbage and fennel are tender but still al dente.
4. While the sauerkraut finishes cooking we can begin cooking the pork chop. Heat an oven proof pan on the stove top on a high heat. When to temperature, add your marinated pork chops and sear on all sides for 1 minute each not forgetting the strip of fat on top of the cutlet.
5. After the pork is sealed on all sides place pan with the meat in your preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes. Rest the meat for 5 minutes before serving. When serving use the sauerkraut as a bed for the pork then garnish with the fennel sprig and radish slices.